Recently I was cooking potato in microwave and experienced that red potatoes are easy to cook this way than any other type of potato because of less starch content. One another very good quality about red potato is that they hold their shape very well after they are cooked. Being from South Gujarat, I grew up eating "Matla Undhiyu." Matla Undhiyu has host of ingredients, some of which are very hard to find here in US. So I thought of this recipe which will suffice my craving for Matla Undhiyu without some of the ingredients. This is very quick and easy recipe and can be served as snack in the afternoon or side dish for any meal.
- 7-8 Baby Red Potato
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Small Piece of Ginger
- 1/4 tsp Ajwain
- 1-1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Dhania-Jeera Powder
- 1 tsp Kasuri Methi
- 1 tsp Chat Masala
- Pinch of Hing
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 2-3 tbsp Cilantro, chopped
- Salt to taste
1. Wash potatoes and let them dry.
2. Pierce the potatoes 2-3 times with fork.
3. Place bowl of water in the middle of the microwave.
4. Arrange all the potatoes around the bowl on the microwave plate. If you have microwave without glass plate, place the bowl of water in a microwave-safe serving plate and potatoes around it.
5. Cook the potatoes for 5-6 minutes or until they are soft and cooked.
6. Cut the potatoes into halves.
7. In the mean time, blend all the other ingredients into the smooth paste using little water or oil.
8. Heat oil in microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds.
9. Mix paste into the oil and heat for 30-40 seconds.
10. Stir and add potatoes into the bowl and cook 2-3 minutes.
11. Mix one more time and serve hot with lemon wage.