This is my mom's one of the best recipe. She won first prize for this one in a side dish competition. This is a spicy corn dish. The inspiration for this was dry corn chevda available in market. As much as I love dry corn chevda, it is a little unhealthy because fried dried corn flakes. I use white corn but one can use sweet yellow corn as well. With sweet corn, there is no need for sugar. I think white corn gives it it better taste though.
Highlights of this dish are Sev and Milk. The milk make this side dish smooth, creamy, and helps it to cook fast. Sev helps in turning down heat from chevdo.
- 6 Fresh White Corn, grated
- 3 Medium potato, grated
- 4 tbsp Green Garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp Ginger-Chilli Paste
- 1/4 tsp Sugar(Optional)
- 1 cup Milk
- 5-6 tbsp Oil
- 1/4 Mustard Seeds
- Pinch of Turmeric
- Salt to taste
- Lemon Wedge
- Cilatro, chopped
1. Heat oil, add mustard seeds. When they crackle, add grated potatoes.
2. Cover pan with lid and let the potatoes cook for 3-4 minutes on mediun heat.
3. Add corn, ginger-chilli paste, salt, milk, and turmeric. Mix well.
4. Cover pan with lid again and cook chevdo for 10-15 minutes on medium heat. Stir frequently.
5. When chevdo is completely cooked, add sugar and mix well. Turn down the heat on low and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
6. Take out chevdo in serving platter and sprinkle sev on top of chevdo.
7. Serve hot with lemon.
This is my entry to Visual Treat Event hosted by Sanyukta.