Whenever I make Idly, I make a little extra, so I can make this idly upma from the leftovers next day. I love this snack. It is perfect for breakfast, as a snack, or even for light lunch or dinner. It is a compeltely satisfying meal. I uaullay have this upma with mango pickle and Gujarati kadhi, I know it sounds odd but believe me, combo of this three together is super tasty. You can eat this Idly Upma with sambar and chuyney as well.
- 8-10 Idlis, crumble or mashed
- 1 Big Onion, chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp Coconut Chutney or Grated Coconut
- 2-3 Green Chilis, chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger, grated
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin-Coriander Powder
- 1-1/2 tbsp Penuts
- 1 tbsp Daliya
- 2-3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2-3 Whole Dry Red Chilis, broken into half
- 5-6 Curry Leaves
- Pinch of Hing
- Lemon Juice to taste
- Cilantro, chopped
- Salt to taste
1. Crumble or mashed idlis with hand and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in pan, crackle mustard seeds. Add peanuts, daliya, whole red chilies, and curry leaves.
3. Saute for 1-2 minutes or saute until peanuts and daliya get little golden brown.
4. Add onion, bell pepper, green chilies, ginger, and little salt. Cook until they are translucent.
5. Add coconut chutney or coconut, idli, Cumin-Coriander powder, red chili powder, little salt, hing, lemon juice, and 2-3 tbsp water.
6. Mix very well and cook on medium-low heat for 3-4 minutes. Stir occasionally.
7. Sprinkle chopped cilantro, and Serve hot with mango pickle or tomato chutney.