This daal is very special to me because whenever I make this dal, one person in my family enjoys it the most, my 3 year old:)) This daal is in our menu every week.
Panch Phoran means five whole-seed spices. Panch phoran usually constitutes Mustard Seeds, Cumin Seeds, Kalonji/Onion Seeds, Fennugreek Seeds, and Fennel Seeds, all in equal parts. This spice blend is great in daals and pickle. Usually this blend is fried in hot oil or ghee, and it smells really nice while frying. Mix this whole seeds together in equal parts and use.
- 1/2 cup Toovar Dal/Toor Dal
- 1/4 cup Chana Dal
- 1/8 cup Fresh Tomato Puree
- 1 tbsp Tamarind Paste
- 1-1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin-Coriander Powder
- Cilantro, chopped
- Salt to taste
For tempering :-
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Panch Phoran
- 1/4 tsp Hing
- 1 Dry Whole Red Chili
1. Wash and soak toovar and chana dal in warm water for 3-4 hours.
2. Pressure cook both daals together in 2 cups of water.
3. Heat oil in sauce pan.
4. Once it hot, add hing, and whole chilli in it.
5. Add 5 spice mix in it and let them splutter well.
6. Then add tomato puree and cook for 2-3 minutes.
7. Now add dal, tamarind, cumin-coriander powder, red chili powder, and salt with 1 cup of water.
8. Let the dal boil for 3-4 minutes and than simmer for 5-7 minutes on low heat.
9. Garnish dal with chopped cilantro, and serve hot with rice or have it as a soup.