Monday, September 15, 2008

Surti Lilva Nu Shak/ Surti Lilva Curry


This one is hot, sizzling, and spicy curry. Frozen Surti Lilva are easily available in Indian Stores. These beans are little sweet and little bitter. In south Gujarat, there are many recipes for lilva beans, like different types of subzis, pakoras, pulav, biryani, and some snacks. Lilva beans are little heavy to digest so it can upset the stomach, but they are very tasty. To curb their hard-to-digest characterstics, don't forget to add ajwain and asafetida in any dish of lilva.

This is my favorite recipe, because I make it when I am angry with DH :)) wink.::) wink:)) Hope he doesn't read this.

Ingredients:-


  • 1 Cup Surti Lilva
  • 1 Potato, chopped
  • 1 Big Tomato, chopped
  • 1 Small Onion, chopped
  • 1 tbsp Oil
  • 3-4 Curry Leaved
  • 1 tsp Ajwain
  • 1/4 tsp Asafetida
  • 5-6 Garlic Cloves, chopped
  • 1 tsp Ginger
  • 1/2 tsp Turmeric
  • 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
  • 2-3 Green Chili, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
  • 1 tbsp Coconut, grated
  • 1-1/2 tbsp Sesame Seeds
  • Lemon Juice to taste
  • Salt to taste
  • Cilantro, chopped

Method:-
1. In pressure cooker, heat oil.

2. Add ajwain. When they started turn little brown, add curry leaves, garlic, ginger, green chili, asafetida, onion, tomato, and salt.

3. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add potato, lilva, turmeric, red chili, garam masala, sesame seeds, coconut, and 2 cups of water. Mix well and adjust seasoning at this point, and bring it to boil.

4. Cover cooker with lid and let it cook until 2-3 whistle.

5. Let the pressure cooker cool for a little bit. If you feel the water is more than you like, boil it till desired level of consistency is reached. Add chopped cilantro.

6. Squeeze some lemon juice on top and serve with roti, rice, or paratha.

Enjoy...

40 comments:

Finla said...

Is there any specialy reason that you make this when you are angry whith DH

Indian Khana said...

Looks gud and healthy..gud one dear...

Srikitchen said...

wow! tempting pic yar! dish is so nice!

ST said...

Looks delicious and healthy.

Unknown said...

well this is something i havent heard before.would love to try but the way u have presented looks very impressive.good one.

Laavanya said...

I always buy this to make a south indian kuzhambu.. must make this traditional dish once... looks great.

Usha said...

I have never tried this bean,sounds interesting ...

Purva Desai said...

wow Lilva..............My in laws are here with us in UK these days and seeing Lilva my MIL is drooling..
They look really tempting specially with sizzling red chilly on top.

Purva Desai said...

wow Lilva..............My in laws are here with us in UK these days and seeing Lilva my MIL is drooling..
They look really tempting specially with sizzling red chilly on top.

Unknown said...

Seeing this pic in orkut I was wondering if I have seen this recipe in ur blog..Looks delicious dear.And nice header..

Cham said...

Ha ha Hope DH reads ur blog post and cool down with ice cream perhaps :)
Angry or not i love fiery food , It is for us Dear!

Uma said...

wooow, the curry looks simply superb Madhavi! Soooooo mouth-watering.

anudivya said...

Spicy! thatz the way to my heart and stomach. Love it

kamala said...

I too make this often but in diff way Madhavi..Looks delicious ya

Sum Raj said...

never used lilva yet....will search 4 that nect time..hope will get it in indian stores..

Deepthi Shankar said...

that looks really nice .. lol y do u make it wen u r angry ??? we used these beans in upma too .. nice recipe

Siri said...

Yummy looking pic Madhu..:) and you make it when u are angry on DH! hehehe.. I intentionally make bland food when I am angry..:))

Cheers,
Siri

delhibelle said...

Looks awesome, Madhs!
Sadly, I have yet to see lilva in the Indian stores here;(

Illatharasi said...

New beans for me... looks delicious:)

Why to prepare it when you are angry... DH doesn't like it? ;)

Indranee Batabyal said...

Nice dish Madhavi...looks quite tempting!

Sia said...

wonderful recipe madhavi... i have got big bag of frozen lilva tucked in my freezer. time to take it out :)

Swati said...

Mmm..delicious... Hey your hubby surely makes up after eating this, right!!

notyet100 said...

looks so yum,..:-)new for me,..hppy weekend,..

mitr_bayarea said...

Lilva beans, haven't heard of that before.

Cynthia said...

Spicy and hot, that's how I like it.

Srikitchen said...

Add you as a follower of my blog so that my recipes will be right away in ur dashboard itself!
join in the chicken event going in my blog!

Shreya said...

Tempting picture. But pls, what is Surti Lilva? It is not peas? Lovely recipe, especially the use of ajwain and coconut caught my eye! Can this be made with normal peas?

Sunshinemom said...

Is this the beans that goes into oondhiyo? Curry looks fierily tempting;) Nice garnish!

Vaishali said...

You had my mouth watering there, Madhavi. This looks super-delicious. I've not had surti lilva before: are those the beans from surti papdi that one uses in undhiyu? I'll be looking for these for sure next time I'm at the Indian store.

Anonymous said...

haha u make it when u r angry with DH... :)

Meera said...

I love surti lilva. I made pullao the other day with lilva and also planning to make muthiya with it soon. ur shaak looks delicious!!

Unknown said...

Interesting recipe, I must try this one out.

Chandani said...

tried this one just today and it is really hot, sizzling and spicy :), loved it....

Ansh said...

Thanks girl!! I am gonna make this today [:)]

Shalni said...

Just made it! it was awsomes.

Minal said...

Turned out very yum!! Thx!!

Minal said...

I have made this recipe n number of times... this comes out delicious!! Always thought of leaving a comment.... but finally the day has arrived.... I have tried your other recipes too... they are fabulous!! I will post comment on each of them that I have tried!! I came across your blog a year back ..thanks to google ;-)

RI said...

Hey tried this today with lilva tuvar .. came out really good ... love your blog .. i have tried a few recipes from here and its always a big hit with my family and friends .. thank you

Dinkar said...

Fantastic recipe! Thank you.

Dinkar said...

Now my wife has made this curry for over 6 years and everyone in family including grown up kids enjoy it a lot with chapati!