I am sure when you read, see, or hear this name; your mouth starts watering. Yes, Pav bhaji is everybody's favorite fast food or you can say favorite street food. It basically hails from great state of Maharatsra. It first started in Mumbai and then became famous in all over India. The most popular flavor is Butter pav bhaji. These days you can easily find cheese pav bhaji everywhere. There also other popular flavors like Paneer Pav Bhaji, Amchur Pav Bhaji, or Chinese Pav Bhaji, or Pulav-flavored. I love it, simple and classic. I deliberately did not add any twist in this one, after all its called 'Classic' for nothing.
Pav Bhaji is a mixture of potato-based curry with vegetables. The authentic pav-bhaji vegetables are potato, tomato, cauliflower, green bell pepper, and peas. Nowadays, many people use eggplants, carrot, cabbage, yam, pumpkin etc in bhaji. Somehow, I don't like it.
Pav-bhaji is served with masala pav with lemon and onion, and its perfect with pulav on side. I love mine with extra lemon juice on top, yummm. We eat pav-bhaji every Friday night, it is like our family tradition now. I just love it, love it, love it!!!!
- 3 Potatoes, peeled and cut into big wedges
- 1 Small Green Bell Pepper, cut into small pieces
- 8-9 Cauliflower Florets
- 1/2 cup Green Peas
- 2 Medium Onions, finally chopped
- 3 Tomatoes, finally chopped
- 6-7 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 1-1/2 tsp Ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp Red Chili Powder or to taste
- 1-1/2 tsp Pav-Bhaji Masala or to taste
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Amul Butter
- Salt to taste
- Lemon Wedges
1. Pressure cook potato, green bell pepper, cauliflower, and green peas together.
2. When they are completely cooked, mashed them all together. Make sure there are no lumps in the mixture.
3. Heat oil and butter into the pan, add onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until it is translucent.
4. Add ginger, garlic, and some salt. Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
5. Add tomato, red chili powder, and cumin powder. Cook until onion and tomato cooked completely.
6. Add pav-bhaji masala, mix well and cover pan with lid. Cook on low heat for 2-3 three minutes.
7. Add potato mixer with some water and mix well. Simmer for 1-2 minutes, taste and adjust seasoning. Cover with lid and simmer for 10-12 minutes on low heat.
8. Topped with chopped cilantro.
9. Serve bubbling hot with pav, lemon wedge and dollop with butter.
Dear friends Shreya and Anjali J passed me Good Job Award. Thank you so much glas, you make my day very special :))
I would love to pass this award to Happy Cook, Usha, Sujatha, and jayashree.Congratulations gals :))