Tikka means a cube or a piece, which is marinated in spiced yogurt mixture for few to several hours to tenderize meat or vegetables naturally and absorb the flavors. Then tikkas are grilled in oven, on grill pan, tandoor, or barbecued. I always use little sugar in marinade because it helps to create a great charred crust on tikkas without making them sweet. Spice things up with these tangy Aloo Tomato Skewers, along with an easy Cilantro and yogurt sauce.
2. Poke 4 Medium Red Potato with fork and parboil it in salted water.
3. Time to make marinade, for that you will need :-
1 tsp Ginger Paste
1-1/2 tsp Garlic Paste
1-1/2 tsp to 2 tsp Thai Green Chili Paste
1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
1/2 tsp Coarsely Ground Ajwain Powder
2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1-1/2 tbsp Cumin Coriander Powder
1-1/2 tsp Garam Masala or to taste
1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder (Mild)
1-1/2 tsp Sugar (Optional)
1/2 tsp Hing
Salt to taste
4. Take thick or hung yogurt in a bowl.
5. Add all the spices along with salt. Mix well.
6. If it's too thick add 1-2 tbsp water.
7. Now add 1 tsp Kasuri Methi
8. Followed by 1-1/2 tbsp Rice Flour. Mix well.
9. Cut the potatoes into 1 inch pieces, and add into the yogurt marinade along with Cherry Tomatoes.
10. With your clean palms, gently mix or massage all the potato pieces and cherry tomatoes should be coated with marinade. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it marinade in the fridge for at least 2-3 hours.
12. In blender, pour 1/2 cup Yogurt, 1-1/2 tsp to 1 tbsp Honey,
13. Handful of chopped Cilantro, pinch of Cayenne Pepper,
14. Grilled tomato with salt.
15. Make sauce, Pour into the container and let it chilled in fridge.
16. Start heating grill pan on medium heat, and spray lightly with non stick cooking spray.
17. Submerge wooden skewers in the water for 10-15 minutes before using. You Can use metal skewers too. Arrange the Potatoes and Cherry Tomatoes on the skewer, brush with olive oil from all the sides.
18. Grill the skewers on hot grill pan for 2-3 minutes on each sides.
You can BBQ them on Gas or Charcoal grill too..
19. When they look charred from all sides, take them out from skewers or arrange them on plate, sprinkle Chaat Masala and Squeeze lemon juice on top of them.
Garnish with chopped Cilantro and serve with Sauce.