Saturday, June 21, 2008

Macaroni Masala


Two days ago, it was my brother's birthday. Many many happy returns of the day, my sweet, little, innocent, bevakuf, brother :))) Oh I miss you so much :(( I celebrated his birthday with his favorite dish. We both love pasta. I used to make this masala macaroni for him. Once he asked this pasta at tea time, how weird :-) but I had to make it for him. He liked it so much, he always wanted it as an afternoon snack. When I saw Macaroni first time in India, I didn’t have any idea what was it and how to make it. One day I saw some pasta sauces (Later, I realized it was marinara sauce) available in the local market. I was shocked at the price tag of Rs.350/- per bottle for Ragu. I only bought packet of macaroni and made it in Indian style.

There aren't any specific Italian ingredients other than pasta in this dish.

On my brother's birthday this year, I celebrated with this dish. Once again, wishing you many many happy returns of the day. May you live long, healthy, and prosperous life.

Ingredients:-


  • 2 cups Elbow Macaroni
  • 1 Medium Onion, chopped
  • 1 Small Tomato, chopped
  • 3 Garlic Cloves, chopped
  • 1/4 tsp Ginger, grated
  • 2 tbsp Oil
  • 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
  • 3-4 Curry Leaves
  • 1/4 tsp Turmeric
  • 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Dhania-Jeera powder
  • 1/2 tsp Pav-Bhaji masala
  • 1 tbsp Maggi Tomato Ketchup
  • Chopped Cilantro
  • Salt to taste

Method:-
1. Cook macaroni as per the instructions on the packet.

2. Heat oil in pan. Add cumin seeds.

3. When cumin starts to turn little brown, add curry leaves, onion, garlic, and ginger. Sauté until onion is translucent.

4. Add chopped tomato, salt, dhania-jeera powder, red chilli powder, and pav-bhaji masala. Cook for 4-5 minutes on medium-low heat.

5. Add cooked macaroni and ketchup into the masala pan and mix well. Cook for another 2 minutes on high heat and stir occasionally.

6. Sprinkle chopped cilantro and serve hot.

Enjoy...

This is my entry to Priti and Purva's Rakhi – Thread of Love event

41 comments:

Uma said...

macaroni masala, mmm. my mouth is watering just saying that name, Madhavi! It's my most fav. too! So can you make this on my b'day too? Just kidding. Please pass my heartiest wishes for your brother's happy birthday.

delhibelle said...

Hey d'y know, u hv hit upon a popular malaysian dish called mamak pasta goreng, which loosely translates to stir fried pasta indian style! And u hv done a fab job of it. I made this a few weeks back,but my lousy pics are stopping me from posting it. Yours look so good.
Happy Birthday to your dear bro!

Deepthi Shankar said...

Hey, I have a surprise for you at my Blog :)

Finla said...

Yumm yumm. It it was me i would also want to have fir tea time :-)
B'day greetings to your brother.

srikars kitchen said...

dear madhavi.... fantastic entry... my fav dish... yummy.. looks nice dear...

FH said...

YUMMY! Masala Mac rocks!:)

TBC said...

I like how you have desified macaroni.:D Nice name!

Laavanya said...

That looks so spicy and good, nice name too! :)

Cham said...

Mac masala, i love it Madhavi, looking delicious . My belated wishes ...:)

Sum Raj said...

macaroni masala is yumm...

Illatharasi said...

Looks colourful and looks YYYYYYUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMYYYYY:)

Srikitchen said...

that's very nice madhavi...

Unknown said...

hi madhavi
can u please visit my blog there is some thing for you
macaroni masala looks yummy

Indranee Batabyal said...

Thanks a lot Madhavi!This macaroni masala looks tempting and very yummy!My heartiest birthday wishes goes out to your brother as well!

ranji said...

oh god what a delicious heap of macaroni..love it love it love it....more than the american style macaroni i prefer the indian style..this one is perfect:)...many many happy returns of the day to ur bro..

Indian Khana said...

Umm..mouth watering...nice recipe..very sure try one may be with diff kind of pasta.

Madhavi said...

Sure Uma, let me know ur b'day, and I'll celebrate ur b'day :))

Thanxx Delhibelle. I think Indian style pasta is very fam in all over the world.

Thanxx Vegetable Platter :))

Thanxx Happy Cook :))

Thanxx Srikar :))

Thanxx Asha di :))

Thanxx TBC :))

Thanxx Laavanya :))

Thanxx Cham :))

Thanxx Suma :))

Thanxx Illatharasi :))

Madhavi said...

Thanxx Mrs.SriLekha :))

Thanxx Rekha :))

Thanxx Indranee Batabyal :))

Thanxx Ranji, same here :))

Thanxx Priti :))

Thank You so much to all of you for the lovely comments and ur wishes for my brother :)))

Love you all :))

Andhra Flavors said...

macaroni masala sounds rock:) will try soon

Aditi..............:) said...

hey thats looks so delicious!!!! ;)

vandana rajesh said...

Macaroni masala..fusion at its best...Italian the Indian way had never thought of this, will definitely try it.

Kalai said...

Now why didn't I ever think of that?? Gorgeous pasta dish! Love this idea! :)

Kumudha said...

macaroni masala looks very tasty! nice blend of western and eastern ingredients!

Jamie said...

So sweet of you to celebrate your brother's birthday with his favorite dish. And it looked great too!

Dori said...

This looks so good! I'm not a big fan of Italian food, so this looks perfect for me!!!

Sujatha said...

yummy.. Looks great.. I used to make a similar recipe with bow-tie pasta, but have never tried with macaroni.. It was nice to read about your brother.. :) happy birthday to him!

Unknown said...

Madhavi..I like the Indian touch in the macaronis..too too good

test it comm said...

Masala macaroni sounds really good.

Hetal said...

this recipe looks too delicious.

Sailaja said...

Good one Madhavi. Thanks for sharing the recipe

Sia said...

birthday wishes to ur brother madhavi. and i loved the indianised pasta u got it here:)

Hetal said...

Check out my blog for a sweet surprise

Indian Khana said...

Visit my blog..something for U awaiting

Vaishali said...

What a delightful recipe, Madhavi. Have never tried cooking pasta with Indian spices before, but it sounds like a great idea! I cannot wait to try this.

Namratha said...

I've never seen a pasta dish with so many Indian masalas in it :D Very unique!!

Madhavi said...

Thanxx Andhra Flavors :))

Thanxx Aditi :))

Thanxx Vandana :))

Thanxx kalai :))

Thanxx Kumudha :))

Thanxx Jamie :))

Thanxx Messo :))

Thanxx Sujatha :))

Madhavi said...

Thanxx Divya :))

Thanxx Kevin :))

Thanxx Hetal :))

Thanxx Sia :))

Thanxx Sailaja :))

Thanxx Vaishali :))

Thanxx Namratha :))

Meera said...

Happy Birthday to your bro!!
Pasta looks lovely. You are such a loving sister.

Anonymous said...

Wow....lovely Indian style pasta. I remember when I was quite young one of my aunts had made this....looked like this. I try your version...it looks super yummy.

Dr.Greeshma A Shenoy said...

heyyyy ITS JUST AWESUM !
THANKS
GRISHMA

Dr.Greeshma A Shenoy said...

heyyyy ITS JUST AWESUM !
THANKS
GRISHMA