Monday, September 29, 2008

Moriyo Khichdi


Moriyo is also known as Samo. We usually eat this while fasting. Moriyo is light and healthy. This is perfect for dieting. It is low in calorie and it has no cholesterol. There are a lot of ways to make this, such as khichdi, poppadum, puri, and even shira .

I always like fresh herbs in my food, as they help lose weight as well. I used fresh mint leaves in this dish. Mint gives perfume and flavor to the dish.

Ingredients:-


  • 1 cup Moriyo
  • 3 Green Chili, chopped
  • 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
  • 3 Cups Water
  • 1/2 tsp Ginger, grated
  • 1 tsp Oil
  • 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
  • Fresh Mint Leaves, chopped
  • Black Pepper to taste, ground
  • Salt to taste

Method:-

1. Heat oil in deep vessel.

2. Add cumin seeds. When they start to brown, add garlic, ginger, and green chili.

3. Sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add moriyo and toast for a minute.

4. Add salt and warm water into the vessel and stir well.

5. Cover with lid and cook until moriyo is cooked and creamy.

6. Serve hot with mint leaves and yogurt.

Enjoy...


This is my entry to Divya's Diet Foods Event.




I am also sending this full of protein, and healthy salad to this event Sprouts Salad W/ Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette



Enjoy...

25 comments:

Indranee Batabyal said...

This khichdi will taste very good, I'm sure. Hope u r doing well...wish you a happy Navratri and Durga Puja!

Finla said...

I never knew about this dish.

Suganya said...

This is a very nice recipe. Looks so good. YUM!

Indian Khana said...

That's a gud dish..I prepared y'day almost same khichdi with dhaliya ;)...Happy Navratri sa

Cham said...

What is moriyo, is it like rava or pasta ? Where do u get it? The khichdi is healthy and good Dear! Happy Durga pooja :)

Unknown said...

This one is new to me..Sounds healthy n suitable for a diet..THanks for both entries Madhavi..

Usha said...

I have never used moriyo,where do you get it...this sounds very healthy and wholesome :)

Swati Raman Garg said...

what exactly is moriyo dost... but both of them look amazing....

Meera said...

Delicious!! Hope you are having a great Navaratri.

Unknown said...

hey madavi,I cudnt get what is moriyo...I have no clue..will search now or get back with u...

Deepthi Shankar said...

looks lovely N healthy too .. i have never made it this way .. thanks for sharing

mitr_bayarea said...

Haven't heard of moriyo before, good one.

Uma said...

ooh, looks so good Madhavi! A complete new recipe for me.

delhibelle said...

looks almost angelic:)

Laavanya said...

I've seen these grains in grocery store but haven't tasted before... Looks so comforting & yummy.

Sum Raj said...

never heard of moriyo...is that look like rava?...lots of nutritious value...healthy food..

kamala said...

What is moriyo Madhavi..never heard abt this..Looking tooo good.

Shreya said...

Hi, this is new to me. The recipe is really nice. Love the salad.

TNL said...

Moriayo is a favorite of mine..its so good with some yogurt.

cheers,trupti
The Spice who Loved me

lubnakarim06 said...

Moriya? Sounds something new. Kichidi looks gr8. Nice entry to the event.

Purva Desai said...

Moriyo khichdi is my mother in laws favourite....
but i got to know through ur post that its low in cholestrol....
Seems you too are fasting...:)
Wishing you and ur family happy navratri...

Sunshinemom said...

I will have to find out more! What is moriyo? Is it sawa?

swastika said...

i really like the recipe.. biut dont knwo what is moriyo.. is it saboo dana by any chnace??

Shruti Shah said...

Great receipe. I love this khicdi. I would add crushed peanuts as well as this goes very well. Its my mum's fav dish as well.

Unknown said...

What is samo/MORIYO called in english ? I am in tamilnadu and as such I wanted its Tamil word.
Is it White mustard seed ?