Spring rolls were served in spring festival in China for the first time. These were vegetarian; and meat was added much later. Vegetarians can use oyster sauce made with mushrooms to have the meaty taste. Spring rolls can be savory or sweet. They are mostly deep fried until crispy and golden brown.
I love fried spring rolls but baked can be as much tasty and crispy, and to top it off they are healthy. I marinated vegetables with seasoning for 1 hour. This will control salt and oil, because stir-frying of vegetables won't be needed after that. To make it more healthy, shallow fry these rolls in pan until they crisp per you need. Shallow fried rolls, for just 1-2 minutes on each side, can be frozen for use afterwards. Don't forget to cool them down completely before freezing.
- 2 Carrots, grated
- 1 Oz cellophane noodles
- 1/2 cup Bean Sprouts
- 3 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Ginger, grated
- 1 cup Cabbage, grated
- 3 Scallions, finely chopped
- 1 big Red Bell pepper, thinly Julian cut
- 1/8 cup Mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper, ground
- 1/2 tsp Red pepper Flakes
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Hot Schezuan Sauce
- 1 tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 2 tbsp Cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp Mint, chopped
- 12-15 Spring Roll Wrappers
- Salt to taste
1. In a large bowl, marinate carrot, cabbage, red bell pepper, mushroom, salt, scallions, soy sauce, schezuan sauce, sugar and oil for 1 hour.
2. Place the noodles in a bowl of boiling water and cover it. Let it stand for 4 minutes.
3. Drain noodles and then rinse them in cold water. Cut the noodles into 2-inch lengths.
4. Back to the marinated vegetables, squeeze access liquid from the vegetables.
5. Add noodles, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, cilantro, mint, and rice wine vinegar to the vegetables. Mix well, taste and adjust seasoning.
6. Preheat oven on 350 F.
7. Spread the spring roll wrappers on the flat surface diagonally.
8. Place spoonful of the filling onto the bottom corner of the wrapper.
9. Fold the wrapper from bottom corner towards the top corner. Halfway through the fold, wrap the side corners on the wrapped portion. Continue to roll until it is completely wrapped in to a cylindrical shape.
10. Seal the roll with cold water.
11. Brush rolls with oil on top and place them into the baking tray.
12. Bake them at 350F for about 30 minutes or until they are crispy and golden brown. Make sure to flip the spring rolls halfway through baking.
13. Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.