This is one of the authentic Gujarati shaak (Subji). We Gujaratis love farsans (Snacks). Sev with mumra (puffed rice) is very popular snack. Sev is usually available in Gujarati pantries. Sev is usually used for sev puri, bhel puri but also used as gravy base for some subjis. One can also make dry subji of sev.
Sev Tameta (Tomato), Sev Kanda (Onion), Sev Bataka(Potato) are the names of the some dishes with sev. Sev based subjis are very easy and quick to make. Sev can be replaced with Ganthia in some of the subjis.
This is semi-gravy recipe. Lilva-Tuvar (Pigeon Peas) with sev is amazing combination. Sev makes for rich gravy and it is smooth in your mouth. Also this is very quick recipe when you are in hurry. Try this subji with Jowar rotlo (thick roti made with Sorghum/ great millet flour) and glass of chhas (buttermilk) and I am sure you'll love it.
- 2 cups Pigeon Peas
- 1/2 cup Sev
- 4 tbsp Green Garlic,
- 3-4 Green Chillies, chopped
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Dhania-Jeera Powder
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Ajwain
- 1/2 cup water
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro, chopped
- Lemon Wedge
1. Heat oil in pressure cooker, and add ajwain.
2. When ajwain get little brown, add green garlic, and green chilli. Saute for 30 seconds.
3. Add pegion peas, turmeric, dhania-jeera powder, sev, and salt.
4. Mix well, and add water. Taste and adjust seasoning.
5. Close the lid of pressure cooker and let it cook, until you get an indication in form of whistle. Wait for at least 2 whistles and then turn the gas off.
6. Sprinkle cilantro and serve hot with lemon.