This is one of those recipe which is being made in our family from very long time. My mom learned it from great grandmother and still no one in my family knows what panela means. So I googled it and to my surprise and happy coincidence, "Panela" means "Jaggery" in Spanish, which is most important ingredient in Panela. How cool!!
- 2 cups Pumpkin, grated
- 1/2 cup Cucumber, grated
- 1 cup Rice Flour
- 3-4 tbsp Besan
- 1 tbsp Green Chilli Paste
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 tsp Hing
- 4-5 tbsp Jeggery or to taste
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
1. Mix all the ingredients in large bowl with little water until there are no lumps.
2. Set the batter aside for 10-15 minutes. Stir well, taste again, and adjust seasoning.
3. In the meantime, preheat steamer or pressure cooker with some water in it. Grease deep dishes or pressure cooker containers with oil.
4. Pour the batter in it and steam for 15 minutes on high heat.
5. Turn down the heat on low for another 5 minutes. Let the steamer cool a little and then open it.
6. Take the panela out of the steamer, and let deep dish cool a little more.
7. Cut the panelas into diamonds, rounds, or squares.
8. Drizzel some oil on them and serve hot with mango pickle.