This soup is thick, rich, and velvety in texture. Meat lovers love these beans because of the meaty taste. Black beans are very healthy. They have high fiber, cancer-fighting antioxidants, and protein. They are mostly used in Mexican cuisine. You can make cake, chili, soup, stew, patty, or even dip with black beans.
Labna is very very easy to make flavored, strained yogurt. It is also known as yogurt cheese. Usually, making labna takes 2-3 days because they strained every ounce of liquid from yogurt, and hang it wrapped in a cloth for 2 days. It then comes out very silky and smooth. The small marble-sized balls are formed and preserved in Olive oil. It goes very well with sandwich, salads, with grilled vegetables, and with soups etc. I just made instant.
This goes wonderfully well with this little sweet soup because labna will infuse a tinge of sour flavor to it. I used pickled jalapeno instead of regular one. It gives more flavor to the soup.
-- For Labna
- 2 cups Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Onion Flakes, dry
- 1/4 tsp Lemon Zest
- Garlic salt to taste
- Cheese Cloth/Muslin Cloth
-- For Soup
- 4 cups Black Beans, cooked
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp Ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 6-7 Sliced Pickled Jalapeño
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 5 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- Chives, chopped
-- For Labna
1. In bowl, mix yogurt, lemon zest, onion flakes, and garlic salt.
2. Place cheese Cloth/Muslin Cloth in large bowl.
3. Pour yogurt mix into the cloth and pull all the cloth corners together.
4. Hang the cloth and let it drain liquid for 3-4 hours.
-- For Soup
1. Heat oil in sauce pan, add onion, garlic, ginger, and salt. Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
2. Add black beans, red chili powder, jalapeño, cumin powder, and black pepper. Sauté for 2 more minutes.
4. Add lemon zest, and vegetable stock, cover with lid, and bring it up to the boil. Turn down the heat.
5. Simmer the soup for 35-40 minutes on medium-low heat.
6. Blend the soup until smooth.
7. Pour soup back in the pan, taste and season. Heat it for 3-4 minutes.
8. Transfer the soup to a warmed serving bowls, put labna on top, and sprinkle chives.
Visual Treat Event hosted by Sanyukta.
This is my entry to Original Recipes hosted by Lore
I am also sending this entry to WYC: Colour in Food Event by EC