Back in India, We all use handi for our regular home cooking. Handi is famous for the slow cooking, for biryani, pulav, and curries. Handi is round, deep vessel in opening and is narrow than the base. In India, clay handis have been in use for centuries. You can find non-stick handis these days in market. If you don't have handi, one can use Dutch oven as well. If you are using Dutch oven, you can bake the subzi. Dutch oven locks moisture, aroma, and flavor inside the same as handi does.
In this dish, I marinated vegetables with yogurt, grated tomato, and other spices to give more flavor and taste to aloo gobi. This curry is very thick. Most people I know like gobi which is not mushy and has a little bite. This Handi Gobi didn't lost crunch and was perfectly cooked even after it was marinated for 3-4 hours in yogurt.
- 1 lb Gobi, cut the florets in to bite size pieces
- 3 Potato, cut in to the about 1 inch pieces
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, cut into the bite size pieces
- 1 Tomato, grated
- 1 Onion, grated
- 1/2 cup Green Peas
- Cilantro, chopped
-- For Marinade
- 1-1/2 cup Yogurt, thick
- 1 Tomato, grated (Use with juice)
- 6-7 Garlic Cloves, grated
- 2 tsp Ginger, grated
- 2 Thai Green Chili, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafetida
- Salt to taste
-- For Tadka
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 1 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 2-3 Red Chili, whole
- 5-6 Curry Leaves
1. In a large bowl, pour yogurt and beat. Add all the marinade ingredients in the yogurt and mix well.
2. Add cut cauliflower, potato, and bell pepper in the yogurt. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and keep marinade in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours.
3. Heat oil and ghee in the handi. Add cumin seeds.
4. When they start to brown, add curry leaves, red chili, and onion. Also, add grated tomato with juice. Sauté for 2-3 minutes on high heat.
5. Add marinated gobi, potato, red bell pepper, and green peas with marinade.
6. Add 1/2 cup water and mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning.
7. Cover handi with lid and turn down the heat on medium low.
8. Cook for 40-45 minutes.
9. Sprinkle chopped cilantro and serve hot with roti or rice.
This is my entry to Curry Mela hosted by Srivalli
I am also sending Champakali
for this lovely event.