Poblano is mexican chili come from Puebla state of Mexico. In Mexico, this chilli is most famous after Jalapeno peppers. It is one of mild chili family and taste is similar to green bell pepper. There are a lots of ways to eat this chilli; in salsa, rice, tacos, and buritos to name a few. The stuffed poblano is more famous here in US. The stuffing can consist anything like meats, beans, and/or vegetables. In Mexico, they stuff it with cactus. Dried poblano (aka Ancho Chilli) is used to make mole sauces, taco seasoning etc.
This is easy recipe but looks like something they serve in fancy restaurants. Traditionally, peppers are fried and than stuffed. Instead of frying, I roasted peppers by broiling and it came out equally tasty. I like red bell-pepper and balsamic reduction sauce combination with refried beans very much. You can use high-quallty aged balsamic vinegar for amazing sweet and savory taste.
- 4 Poblano Chilli
- 1 cup Refried Beans
- 1 Garlic Cloves, grated
- 2 tbsp Taco Seasning
- 1 tbsp Jelapeno, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Stock
- Salt to taste
-- For Red Bell Pepper Sauce
3 Roasted Red Bell Pepper
1/4 cup Vegetable Stock
1 tsp Paprika
1/4 tsp Lemon Juice
Pinch of Salt
-- For Balsamic Reduction Sauce
1 cup Aged Balsamic Vinegar
2 tsp Sugar
-- For Serving
1. Preheat oven on 400F. Brush poblano peppers with little oil.
2. Bake peppers on cookie sheet for 5 minutes and then broil it until skins to be blackened.
3. Put peppers in bowl and cover it with plastic wrap for 5 minutes.
4. Peel the blackened skin and remove seed peppers. Leave the stem on.
5. In the mean time, mix roasted red bell peppers, salt, lemon juice, vegetable stock, and paprika in blender and blend it to sauce.
5. In Sauce pan, boil balsamic vinegar and sugar once and then simmer on medium heat until it is reduced by half and thickened.
6. In the bowl, mix re-fried beans, little water, garlic, taco seasoning, vegetable stock, and jalapeno and microwave for 1 minute.
-- For Severing
1. In oven safe plate, take ladle-ful roasted red bell pepper sauce.
2. Take chilli and stuffed with beans.
3. Sprinkle some cheddar cheese and put under the broiler until cheese is melted.
4. Serve hot with sour cream and drizzle of balsamic reduction sauce.