One of my cousin loves tomato soup but can't have the tomato soup with cream or milk. He was visiting us and I was thinking how can I make him tomato soup which he would be able to enjoy. I found the answer in one of the Tuscans soups and it is called Pappa al pomodoro. The tomato soup with a day old bread make this very unique and tasty recipe. The bread soak up most of the the acidic elements from tomatoes so people with acidity problems can also enjoy this soup. Crusty day old italian bread is perfect with this soup. This is the perfect to warm up a little in the cold nights. This soup can be served two different ways. One is to blend the bread with the soup and the other is to put bite-size pieces of bread in the hot soup.
- 14 oz canned Diced Tomatoes
- 14 oz canned Pureed Tomatoes
- 1 Loaf Day Old Italian Bread, torn into bite size pieces
- 1 Quart Vegetable Stock
- 3 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flacks
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil, plus extra for drizzle
- 5-6 Basil Leaves
- Salt to taste
- Papper to taste
1. Heat oil in sauce pan and add garlic. Saute for 10 seconds.
2. Add diced tomatoes with juice, pureed tomatoes, red pepper flacks, salt, pepper, and vegetable stock. Mix well, cover with lid and Bring to a boil.
3. Now reduce the heat and simmer the soup forr 20-25 minutes.
4. Add bread and stir. Turn off the heat and let it sit for 2-3 minutes.
5. Serve hot with Olive oil, and chopped basil on top of soup.