I love South Indian food, specially Dosas with spicy sambar, and Medu vada with coconut chutney. I really like the use of freshly ground podi and other masalas. This is one the best delicacy of South India. This is a complete one pot meal, rice dish with full servings of vegetables, lentil, and spices. This rice dish is amazingly aromatic and super tasty. Thanks Prashanti for this recipe, we love it :))
- 1-1/2 cup Kolam Rice or Basmati Rice
- 1/2 cup Toor Dal
- 1 Small Potato, cut into pieses
- 2 Shallots, chopped
- 1 cup Mix Vegetables, (Carrots, Peas, Corn, Green Beans)
- 1-1/2 tbsp Sambar Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Ginger Grated
- 1-1/2 tbsp Tamarind Paste
- 1 tbsp Peanuts
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 4 cups Water
- Cilantro, chopped
- Salt to taste
-- For Dry Masala
- 3 tbsp Dry coconut, grated
- 1 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 5 Dry Whole Red Chili
- 3 Cloves
- 2 Cardamom
- 1 Small Cinnemon
- 8-10 Whole Black Pepper
1. Dry roast all the dry masala ingredients in skillet on medium-low heat. Stir continuously.
2. Cool them completely and grind/powder them until fine.
3. Heat oil in pressure cooker. Crackle mustard seeds. Saute shallots, and ginger with dry masala powder for 30 seconds.
4. Add potato, mix vegetables, sambar powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, tamrind paste, and peanuts. Mix well. Saute for another 30 seconds.
5. Add rice and toor dal, with salt and water. Mix very well.
6. Pressure cook it for 4-5 whistles.
7. Add chopped cilantro on top and serve hot with rice papad.