This is very popular subji in South Gujarat. The green garbanzo(Fresh) are available at Indian grocery stores, Whole Foods, and occasionally at Costco. I prefer to buy them when they are still in their pod. Fresh green garbanzo(Chickpeas) beans are sweet in taste. They can be eaten roasted. Roast them with pod in a wok, or raw, or boiled. They are low in fat, high in fiber, and are also good source of iron. They are easy to digest if you use them fresh. For this recipe, one can use dried green garbanzo after soaking them in water overnight or frozen. I recommend fresh garbanzo beans for this subji.
The flavor of this subji is little nutty, sweet from coconut, and little spicy from freshly made paste. I still remember when my mom made coconut masala with mortar and pestle in our little backyard and the smell was amazing. We eat this subji with Juwar Rotlo, rice, Gujarati Kadhi, and papad. My mom's recipe is little different from others. She adds milk in it, and that makes the subji richer and smoother in texture.
- 2 Cups Fresh Green Garbanzo Beans, peeled
- 1 Medium Potato, cut into small pieces
- 1 Small Tomato, chopped
- 1/2 Onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup Coconut, grated
- 1 tbsp Ginger, grated
- 1 tsp Green Garlic
- 3-4 Green Chilies, chopped
- 1/2 cup Cilantro, chopped
- 1/8 cup Mint, chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin-Coriander Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 cup Milk + 1/4 cup Water Mix
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
- Salt to taste
- Chopped Cilantro for garnish
1. Mix onion, tomato, coconut, ginger, green garlic, green chilies, cilantro, mint, cumin-coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt, and 1-2 tbsp water in mortar and pestle or in blender. Make smooth paste.
2. Heat oil in pressure cooker. Add asafoetida and cumin seeds, let them spultter.
3. Add masala and saute them for 20 seconds. Than add garbanzo beans, potato and mix well.
4. Now add milk and water mixture. Mix well, taste and adjust seasoning. Bring it to boil.
5. Cover cooker with lid and give 3-4 whistles. Cool down cooker little and then open it.
6. Add lemon juice, mix well.
7. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.