This is authentic Italian dish. Freshly home-made potato Gnocchi are delicious. Gnocchi is Italian name for variety of dumplings. Italians make Gnocchi from potato, semolina, wheat flour, bread crumbs etc; and they serve it with different kinds of sauces. Gnocchi can be made without eggs using whole milk ricotta cheese. If it's loose, add little flour to make dough-like consistency.
Marinara sauce is very popular with this dish, but sometime store-bought marinara is very sour, so use home-made tomato sauce, recipe included. The orange sauce has this home-made mariana with touch of cream, which creates sparkling orange color.
-- For Gnochhi
- 1 lb Baking Potato, cut in 3-4 pieces
- 1 tsp Water
- 3 tbsp Butter or Margarine
- 1 small Egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
-- Orange Sauce
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Shallots, Chopped
- 2 Garlic Clove
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1/2 cup can Tomato Sauce
- 8 oz can Tomatoes, Chopped
- 2 tbsp Basil, Chopped
- 6 tbsp Red Wine
- 1 tsp Superfine Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
-- For Garnish
- Parmesan Cheese
- red chili flakes
- Fresh Basil Springs
1. Cook potatoes with their skin in a pan of boiling salted water for 20 to 30 minutes. Drain well and press through a sieve into a bowl.
2. Add the butter or margarine, egg, and some flour to the potatoes, mixing well.
3. Sprinkle a little flour on flat surface, like chopping board. Transfer the mixture to the surface, gradually knead with remaining flour to form a soft dough.
4. With floured hands, roll the dough into thin rope, and cut the rope into quarter-inch pieces.
5. Press the center of the dumpling with your finger, drawing the two-sides towards you to form the Gnochhi shape. Cover the Gnocchi with a cloth and put it away.
6. Heat the oil for the sauce in a pan and sauté the chopped shallots for 5 minutes.
7. Add garlic, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes,tomato sauce, basil, oregano, red wine, sugar, salt, and pepper.
8. Bring it to boil and then let it simmer for 20 minutes.
9. In the meantime, boil salted water in a deep pan. Add dumplings to it. Cook them for 2-3 minutes or until they rise up to the top. Drain well.
10. Add drained dumplings to the sauce pan. Before adding the dumplings to the pan, mix heavy cream in sauce. Make sure not to heat the cream much.
11. Garnish with basil, red chili flakes, and Parmesan cheese. Serve hot.