Risotto is great Italian rice dish. Risotto is made with Italian Arborio rice, or with Vialone rice. The taste of risotto is very creamy without using any cream. The creaminess comes from the rice. Arborio is short grain rice. Risotto is very different than other rice dished. The secret of creamy and perfect risotto is slow cooking and adding little stock at a time. Let it absorb little stock till it reaches a creamy consistency, tender grains with slight chewiness. Risotto can be made with any vegetables. Butter and parmesan cheese are most important ingredients in this dish. Italians start making risotto with butter and finish with butter. You can use red wine, dry white wine, or champagne.
Giada De Laurentiis is my inspiration for Italian cooking. I saw this dish on her Everyday Italian show. I follow the recipe mostly with my own little touches.
- 3-1/2 cups Vegetable Stock
- 3 tbsp unsalted Butter
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup Shallots, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup Arborio Rice
- 1/2 cup Dry Red Wine
- 1/3 cup Peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup Basil Leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flaks
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper, freshly ground to taste
1. Bring the vegetable stock to a simmer over medium-high heat. Keep it warm over low heat.
2. Heat butter in pan. When butter start to melt, add olive oil on medium heat.
3. Add the shallots and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté.
4. Add the rice and cook for about 2 minutes or until the rice is toasted.
5. Add the red wine and stir about 1 minute or until wine is absorbed.
6. Pour 3/4 cup of vegetable stock, salt, and pepper and simmer over medium-low heat until the liquid is absorbed, stirring often.
7. Keep on adding stock at a rate of 3/4 cup until all is used, stirring often. Wait till previously added stock is absorbed each time.
8. Keep the mixture warm until rice is tender and mixture is creamy.
9. Cook peas in Microwave for 5 minutes. Stir in the peas and red pepper. Add mascarpone cheese and 1/2 cup of Parmesan.
10. Adjust the taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle some parmesan cheese, red pepper flacks, and basil leaves over risotto for garnish.
11. Make sure to serve hot, that's when it is at its delicious best.
This is my entry to AWED :Italiano hosted by Dhivya.