This is another spicy dish that makes your mouth water. Tawa is large, flat, dish- shaped skillet. They are made from aluminum, cast iron, non-stick, or steel. Tawa is very famous for making rotis, parathas, pav-bhaji, chat, several rice dishes, dosas, subzis etc.
There are many tawa recipes out there. Usually, tawa subzis are stuffed and cooked on tawa, but there are many other ways to cook with tawa. In this recipe, I tried to give tawa masala flavor without using store-bought tawa masala. The mixture of spices with yogurt helps sticking masalas on vegetables. This dish can be made with any vegetables, meat, or fish. One more reason to make subzi on tawa is to give smoky taste to ingredients, usually done on barbeque grill. For the finishing touch, use butter on extra-hot tawa for the wonderful smoky smell and that sizzling sound.
- 2 Big Potato, boiled and cut into medium pieces
- 5-6 Cauliflower Florets, cooked
- 1 Onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6-8 Paneer, cubes
- 5 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger, grated
- 1 Thai Chili, chopped
- 1 tsp Dhania-Jeera powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Ajwain
- 1 tsp Ground Pomegranate seeds
- 1 tbsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Pav-Bhaji masala, plus extra for sprinkle
- 5 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1-1/2 tbsp Yogurt
- 5 tbsp Tomato Sauce
- 5 tbsp Water
- Pinch of Kasuri Methi
- Pinch of Hing
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
1. Heat tawa on medium heat for 10 minutes.
2. Pour 4 tbsp oil on hot tawa with cumin seeds and ajwain. Turn down the heat on low.
3. Immediately add onion with little salt, mix well. Cook until onions are little soft.
4. Add red bell pepper with garlic and ginger, sauté for 5 minutes.
5. Now add potato, cauliflower, and paneer. Mix well with onion and bell pepper. Cook for 3 minutes.
6. In bowl mix yogurt, tomato sauce, turmeric, dhania-jeera powder, red chili powder, ground pomegranate seeds, pav-bhaji masala, kasuri methi, hing, remaining oil and salt with water. Mix them well.
7. Pour yogurts mix on vegetables. Coat all vegetable evenly. Cook for another 5-6 minutes.
8. Now put the heat on high and make the tawa extra hot. Splash butter at the edge of tawa and add pav bhaji masaala and chopped Thai chili once butter starts to smoke. Immediately mix this butter with subzi.
9. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve immediately.
Visual Treat Event hosted by Sanyukta.