Italian Food not just offers great pasta dishes but they have amazing rice, salads, soups and sandwiches. Italian sandwiches are very popular all over world whether it's cold or pressed paninis. Usually these sandwiches are topped with grilled vegetables and meats, tapenades, cheeses, and dressings on their many different types of bread. One of the most popular Italian sandwich is basil, tomato, and fresh mozzarella with balsamic vinaigrette drizzled all over, also known as Caprese Sandwich; however I like Caponata Sandwich even more. This delicious sandwich is filled with eggplant, other veggies, mixed with herbs, raisins and hefty portion of feathery moist fresh mozzarella cheese on Chibata Bread. One can use sourdough or Baguette instead as well.
- 1 Medium Eggplant, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 Small Green or Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Small Red Onion, diced
- 1/4 cup Black Olives, sliced or diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 12 oz Can Tomato, diced
- 2-3 tbsp Raisins
- 2-3 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- Baguette or Ciabatta bread
- Fresh mozzarella Slices
1. Heat oil in pan, cook eggplant, onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
2. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
3. Add tomato with their juice, olives, vinegar, sugar, oregano, and raisins. Mix well.
4. Again season with salt and pepper. Simmer over medium-low heat about 20 minutes. Stir a few times.
5. Cut the bread pieces horizontally in half. Add a slice of mozzarella to bread bottom, spoon the caponata on top, cover with the other bread half.
6. Lightly Grill this sandwich in panini grill.