Whenever I don't have time to make full dinner, I love this hearty soup. This is very easy recipe. When you visit bistros, they more often or not have Tomato soup on their menus. They make tomato soup in bulk, and usually it tastes different than the regular tomato soup. It is served with sour cream or yogurt. The secret is "Marinara Sauce". Yep, they use marinara sauce with other fresh ingredients. The soup with marinara is very popular in USA, Italy and in Greece. Sometime the taste of this soup is little bland, so I added cumin powder, tomato paste, and red chilli powder.
Giada, Everyday Italian Fame, made a similar soup with pasta and cannellini beans. Even though I haven't had a chance to make that but It looked like a must try. By the way, this is out of context but I must share, Giada is blessed with baby girl in March of this year "Jade Marie De Laurentiis Thompson" photo.
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 1 Carrot, chopped
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 4 cups Marinara Sauce
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 4-5 cups Vegetable stock
- 1-1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1-1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Basil, dry
- 1 tsp Oregano, dry
- 1/2 cup Navy beans
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
-- For Garnish
- Mexican style cheese
- Scallions, chopped
- Low Fat yogurt
1. Heat oil in sauce pan. Add onion, garlic, carrot, and bay leaf.
2. Seasoned with salt and black pepper. Mix well and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
3. Add tomato paste, basil, oregano, cumin powder, navy beans, and red chilli powder. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add marinara sauce, and vegetable stock. Cover with lid and bring it to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Take out bay leaf. Blend the soup until smooth. If it’s very thick, add little more stock or water.
6. Pour soup back in the pan, taste and season. Heat it for 3-4 minutes more on high heat.
7. Serve with dollop of yogurt, scallions, and cheese.
My dear friend, Shubha, tagged me for 10 things I hate. I don't hate too many things and it was a struggle to compile the list. My hate list is not that different from many other people. Like most, I hate hypocrites, dishonest, liars, and back-stabbers, if thats a word. I hate to be late, and don't like people who are usually late that much either. As far food items are concerned, I don't eat many things but I don't hate them, rather I don't like them. These include eggplant, karela, okra which are not crispy. Oh! I hate chefs who use tomato ketchup in gravy and curry recipes. Above all, I hate I can't find 10 items that I hate.