What is better than fresh home-made bread huh ??!! This is simple and easy to make bread from Ireland. This Irish bread is also known as "Soda Bread", crusty on the outside and cake-like tender on the inside. Irish bread is served routinely at Irish meals, from breakfast to high tea. The rounded slices make them tasty partners for tea, soup, sandwich, or eggs. You can also apply them with butter, honey, or marmalade.
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Wheat Flour
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tbsp Butter, room temperature
- 1-1/4 cup Buttermilk
- 1 tbsp Milk
1. Preheat oven on 375 degrees.
2. In large bowl, mix all-purpose flour, wheat flour, brown sugar, salt, and baking soda.
3. Add room temperature butter. The mixture should resemble the coarse crumbs.
4. Add buttermilk and stir, only enough to moisten dry ingredients.
5. With floured hands, shape dough into a flat ball about 2 inches high.
6. Put on greased baking sheet and apply milk with pastry brush on top of the bread.
7. Take sharp knife and shallow an X in the top of the loaf, spreading across the whole way.
8. Bake for 40 minutes or until bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.
9. Let it cool a little bit and cut into thick slices.
10. Serve warm or room temperature.