Today I am sharing very easy to follow delicious Baked stuffed tomatoes recipe. I used feta cheese in the stuffing and combination of black beans, tofu,and feta cheese is incredible. There is little use of ketchup in this recipe because I love little sweet and tangy taste in my stuffing but one can totally skip ketchup. I used Beef Steak tomatoes from Costco, they are super juicy and they hold their shape very well after baked. Make sure to choose ripe and firm tomatoes but too ripe and soft. They're best eaten warm, right out of the oven, although leftovers reheat nicely too. This dish is easy to put together, and while it could be served as an entrée or even main meal.
1. Cut the tops off the Beef Steak Tomatoes.
2. Scoop out tomato juices, seeds and flesh into bowl, using a melon baller or a small spoon.
3. Keep tomato pulp aside. You can put tomatoes upside down on paper towels and allow to drain for a minute.
4. Heat 1 tbsp Olive Oil in pan. Cook 1 medium Red Onion (Chopped), and 1 tbsp Garlic paste for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
5. Add 3/4 cup boiled Back Beans,
6. Next add scooped tomato pulp with juice into the pan. Mix well and let it cook for 2 more minuets.
7. Now time to add 1 cup chopped Firm Tofu.
8. Next goes in spices, add 1 tbsp Cumin-Coriander powder, 1 tsp Garam Masala or Curry Powder, 1 tsp Turmeric Powder, 1-1/2 tsp Dry Oregano, 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper,1-1/2 tsp Ketchup (Optional), and Salt to taste. Mix it and let masala cook for 1 minute.
9. Turn off the heat and add 1/4 cup Crumbled Feta Cheese, 1/4 cup Thawed Peas, and lots of Fresh chopped Cilantro. Mix it very well taste and adjust seasoning. Cover the pan and let it sit for 15 minutes.
10. In the mean time preheat your oven on 400F.
11. Grease baking dish with olive oil and keep aside. Arrange tomatoes cut side-up in baking dish then spoon mixture into tomatoes.
12. Sprinkle little seasoned breadcrumbs on top and drizzle lightly with olive oil.
13. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes, or until tomato walls are soft. Broil it for 2 minutes on low.