Making Red Thai Curry paste at home is surprisingly easy. Homemade paste is more fresher in taste and one can control on heat of the chilies. You can store this paste in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or in freezer for up to 2-3 months. I used Kashmiri Red Chili Powder in this curry. Kashmiri Red Chili powder gives bright Red Color to the paste without adding any extra heat. Add this paste to flavor Thai Soups, Noodles, Fried Rice etc... :)
1. You'll need -
5 Shallots, roughly cut
10 Garlic cloves, roughly cut
5-10 Red Thai Chilies, roughly cut
2 Stalk Fresh Lemon Grass, minced
2-3 tbsp Galangal(Thai Ginger) or Ginger, roughly cut
1 tbsp Kafir Lime Zest or Lime Zest
4 Dry Thai Red Chilies
1/4 cup Fresh Cilantro Stems
1 tsp Cumin Seeds, lightly dry roasted
1 tsp Coriander Seeds, lightly dry roasted
5-6 Black Peppercorn
3 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
4 tbsp Red Chili Sauce
2 tbsp White Vinegar
1 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Dry Thai Basil
3 tbsp Oil
2-3 tbsp Water or Coconut Milk
Salt to taste
2. Heat oil in pan, add shallots, ginger, and garlic. Cook it for 2 minutes.
3. Now add lemongrass, and thai red chilies. Mix and saute for 2 minutes.
4. Next add chili sauce with kashmiri red chili powder (or a drop of red food color), let it cook for 5 minutes on medium low heat.
5. In the mean time, first make fine powder of cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cardamom seeds, peppercorn. dry thai basil, and dry red chilies in blender.
6. Turn off the heat and let this mixer cool.
7. Now add cilantro roots,
8. next lemon zest,
9. Cooked shallots mixer with water and vinegar. Make smooth paste.
Red Curry Paste is ready to make excellent Thai curry.